Business Analysis in Insurance Major
This major will help you prepare for a rewarding career as a business analyst for an insurance organization. Insurance business analysts serve as the bridge between the information systems department and other departments in the company and are well versed in insurance industry standards, policies, trends and news. The analyst must remain aware of the changes and trends in the insurance industry and the impact of these changes on the daily activities of the departments supported and on the company.
In addition to the course requirements, an internship is required and at least three internship credits must be earned before graduation. To enroll in 300- and 400-level IRM/FP classes you must have a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA, must maintain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA to continue and must have a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA to graduate from Olivet College with this major.
The following is an overview of courses associated with our business analysis in insurance major. We encourage you to speak with a faculty representative during your on-campus visit for detailed information about your specific program interests.
For an official description of courses and degree requirements, please reference our academic catalog.
Business Analysis in Insurance Major Core Courses
- BUS 201 Principles of Accounting I
- BUS 202 Principles of Accounting II
- BUS 300 Principles of Management
- CS 130 Principles of Computing
- CS 140 Computer Science I
- CS 240 Computer Science II
- CS 270 Software Engineering
- CS 350 Database Programming
- IDS 390 Internship
- IRM 221 Principles of Risk Management and Insurance
- IRM 322 Personal Insurance
- IRM 323 Commercial Insurance
- IRM 350 Negotiations and Persuasive Presentations
- IRM 480 Project Management
- IRM 490 Strategic Management of the Insurance Enterprise
- MTH 109 College Algebra or placement evaluation
- MTH 150 Pre-Calculus or placement evaluation
- MTH 232 Statistics